A night at the opera

I'm no snob and really don't know much about opera except it's supposed to be boring and “you have to wait until the fat lady sings” – a reference to an interminable Wagner opera that ends with a fat lady wearing horns giving the much-awaited finale. That's where the saying comes from.

So it was with mixed feelings I put on my best clothes and headed for the La Scala Opera House. It's not every day you get free tickets to opening night at the world-famous venue.

We had to pass through a phalanx of security – with the Milan Expo opening, an anarchist group called Black Bloc is plotting mayhem – to mingle with mighty and their mates. But I think maybe half of the dark-suited men the lobby crowd were personal bodyguards for people such as Georgio Armani and the President of the Republic.

I was seated next to a Chinese guy who told me his boss from Shanghai in the row ahead was the sponsor of the season opening for Turadot, Puccini's final, unfinished opera and his take on a Chinese theme.  

And as it got underway I was not bored at all. In fact I was engaged in the whole scene. The staging, the costumes and of course the singing were stunning. It didn't matter that I understood not one word.

As a back story: Some 20 years ago someone gave me a videotape – remember those? – of a Three Tenors concert in L.A. There was a “song” that I watched over and over. I knew nothing about opera, but this one really grabbed me. The tune has stayed in my head ever since. As it turns out, it is from the opera Turandot, and I heard it by one of the greatest tenors of today performing it live at La Scala. I never imagined that would happen. I didn't even know the aria's title or what opera it came from. I have to admit I was moved.

All in all, a night to remember.

Oh yes, just for the record: The aria is called “Nessun Dorma”, or in English, “None Shall Sleep.”

Here's the actual video I first saw, courtesy of Youtube. If you have the patience to give it a chance, you might agree these guys can really crank it up:

"Nessum Dorma", Three Tenors, LA concert 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNQeKvVPPlc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Zaha Hadid: Architect of life patterns’

Long-wanted mafia boss captured in bunker

Milan moves to grab post-Brexit business